|Photographer facing north, 2/8/2015|
This home has also been known as the Goodale Inn, though the home apparently never functioned as an inn. It is located on the two remaining acres of land that was a plantation once as large as 700+ acres. The original owner of the plantation was Thomas Goodale who received a land grant of 500 acres, later discovered to only be about 460 acres. He operated a grist mill on the property, grew grain, and operated the Sand Bar Ferry.
He sold the property to Francis Macarten and Martin Campbell in 1754. The property eventually ended up being sold to Christopher FitzSimons of Charleston, SC in 1799. It was then that the plans were drawn up for the construction of the home. The home and plantation was given to FitzSimon's daughter Ann as a wedding gift when she married Wade Hampton, Jr. in 1816. The home stayed in the Hampton family until 1835, even though they never lived in the house.
There is an extensive history of the home written in 1976 by Martha Norwood for the nomination form to have the property placed on the National Register of Historic Places. See http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/76000645.pdf The nomination was successful, however things have taken a turn for the worse in recent years.
|Collapsed wall, photographer facing east, 2/8/2015|
In 2011 one of the chimneys on the north wall collapsed bringing down most of the wall with it. Four years later, the wall is still open and exposed to the elements. It appears that the preservation of this Georgia landmark is in serious jeopardy. In 2014 a judge ordered that the property be repaired or torn down. Neither has been done. Lets hope for the former and not the latter.