Sunday, April 23, 2017

W.A. Dooley House, c. 1920, Oconee County, GA


Photographer facing north
I came across this gem last week on my way home from the dentist. It caught my eye as I drove past at about 50 mph, prompting me to turn around at the Oconee County Parks and Recreation headquarters. Surrounded by large hardwood trees, the size of the abandoned two-story house is what caught my eye. It has definitely been a long time since anyone has called it home.

Photographer facing NW
Like I do for all properties that I document, I pull up the tax assessor information online and look for the year built, as well as owner information, and any other specifics about the property. For just about every county in Georgia, you can search property information by entering the county name followed by qpublic in your favorite search engine. Except for those counties that want to charge a fee for this service, it is a wonderful resource.

The earliest ownership record shows the property was conveyed from W.A. Dooley in 1978. What came before that is unlisted, so I don't know if they were the original  owner.

This L-shaped home consists of 1,630 sq ft. The main part of the home is 40' across the front x 32' deep. The smaller section that extends off the back right of the house is 14' wide x 25' long. Also on the back left side is a 12' x 23' screen porch. The front porch is 8' deep and runs 33' across the front of the home. I can imagine the family sitting on the front porch on a hot summer afternoon, enjoying the breeze, perhaps listening to a rain shower hitting the tin roof.

Photographer facing NE
Located about halfway between Watkinsville and Bogart, this part of the county, other than the adjacent park, consists of large tracts of beautiful, rolling and open agricultural land. It would be nice if the county could purchase the home with its 20 acres and add it to the park, perhaps renovating the house as an example of an early 20th century farmhouse. Sadly, this one will probably be lost to time and the elements.


No comments:

Post a Comment