|Yellow Creek Road, photographer facing SE|
|Photographer facing NE|
The building sits on the site of, and is the only remaining structure of the Creighton/Franklin Gold Mine complex. According to the Cherokee County Historical Society, the mine was active for more than 70 years (1830s-1907) as the property blossomed into a complex that eventually included a mining plant with a large stamp mill, a chlorination plant, assay laboratory, blacksmith shop, stables, miners' cottages and a dam with 2 large turbines to generate power for the site.
Like all land in this part of Georgia, it was obtained in the Cherokee Land Lottery in the 1830s by Mrs. Mary Franklin. At one time, the property ballooned to 1,280 acres. By 1883 it was owned and operated by J.M. Creighton.
|Photographer facing north|
The structure is part of a list of twelve "Sites Worth Saving", compiled by the Cherokee County Historical Society. Privately owned, there is no indication that any preservation attempts will be made.